Monday, November 8, 2010

Anzaldua

"But more than we count the blows, we count the days the weeks the years the centuries the aeons until the white laws and commerce and customs will rot in the deserts they've created, lie beached."  pg. 44 anzaldua
It seems to me that Anzaldua is trying to fight fire with more fire, and instead of putting out the fire, she instead stubbornly keeps pouring on gasoline.  The way she stereotypes all Americans as Anglo, when we have 75 million people of color in the U.S. just really makes me mad.  Sure the U.S. has made its fair share of mistakes, but it just seemed like Anzaldua blamed the U.S. for her location growing up.  She states how she is not whole because all the various dialects she has acquired have made her fragmented.  In the U.S. though we would just say she is well-rounded.  This is like the opposite of what I would call good reading, it is not meant for the enjoyment of the reader, but its aim is instead to incite an illicit response. 
I picked this particular quote because I feel that it does a good job of illustrating my views on Anzalduas' writing.  Another thing I didn't like was the way she threw in all of her dialects into the paper.  I think it made it choppy and distracting.  Overall I just really did not like this paper, but maybe it was because I got barely any sleep and I’m just grumpy right now, I don't know.  Packer game was awesome btw.

1 comment:

  1. Yes the Packer game was awesome a 45-7 spanking the of the Cowboys is a good way to start of the week. I agree with you that while reading Gloria Anzaldua essay that with her putting in her various Spanish dialects made the essay difficult to flow. You would start reading and then get sidetracked because you'd have to translate the words so you could gain a better understanding of what the essay was trying to convey to the reader.
    Also, I agree with your statement that we didn't force her to loss her Spanish accent others inside her own ethnicity helped destroy their own language as well. One quote she uses is "we internalize how our own language has been used against us by the dominant culture, we us our language differences against each other" (Page 40, How To Tame A Wild Tongue, Anzaldua).
    So it's true what you say is that she is just adding more fuel to the fire. Instead of trying to resolve the issue individuals in turn just begin doing the very thing that they are fighting against. It just like she states that they use English the vary thing they hate against each other. She states that "we oppress each other trying to out-Chicano each other, vying to be the "real" Chicanas, to speak like Chicanos" (Page 40, How To Tame A Wild Tongue, Anzaldua). To me that doesn't sound like a group of individuals fighting for their dominant Spanish language to not fade into the distance.

    Response By: Andrew Hart

    ReplyDelete